Live from New York It’s Social Media Sunday—The Virtual Fashion World Edition
As the virtual world increasingly shakes hands with IRL (“In Real Life”), the union of law and the online domain becomes more concrete. As this several year old post discusses the need for the law to undertake a more robust approach, the law is taking steps to do so, but more in a traditionalist fashion. Look no further than DKNY’s recent application for a trademark registration in connection with Second Life. Here the fashion giant is staking a claim to its largely marketing driven footprint in the hugely popular and expansive Second Life virtual universe. That being said, it is interesting how Second Life’s virtual economy actually reaches the other way into IRL, with its ability to be converted into hard cash. As a result, the application was granted albeit with a goods and services description for “entertainment services” as opposed to the actual virtual clothes themselves (see below for a breakdown of the application from the USPTO).
|Goods and Services||IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line, non-downloadable virtual clothing for use in virtual environments, and specifically in virtual retail stores. FIRST USE: 20070926. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20070926|
|Standard Characters Claimed|
|Mark Drawing Code||(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK|
|Trademark Search Facility Classification Code||LETTER-3-OR-MORE DKNY Combination of three or more letters as part of the mark|
|Filing Date||September 14, 2009|
|Current Filing Basis||1A|
|Original Filing Basis||1A|
|Published for Opposition||December 1, 2009|
|Registration Date||February 16, 2010|
|Owner||(REGISTRANT) Gabrielle Studio, Inc. CORPORATION NEW YORK 550 Seventh Avenue New York NEW YORK 10018|
|Attorney of Record||Jeffrey H. Epstein|
|Prior Registrations||2203071;2470110;3086192;AND OTHERS|
|Type of Mark||SERVICE MARK|
- CLIENT ALERT: Ban on General Solicitation and Advertising for Private Offerings Lifted
- Intellectual Property Considerations for Crowdfunding
- Common Provisions of Independent Contractor Agreements for Intellectual Property Production
- Compliance for Developers of Medical Applications and Software under HIPAA and Other Regulations
- Breakdown and Basics of a Non-Disclosure Agreement
- With the speculative, costly and long-term natu...
- By: Kaiser Wahab Non-Disclosure Agreements (“ND...
- By: Kaiser Wahab and Susanna Guffey Information...
- By: Tommas Balducci, Kaiser Wahab In this artic...
- By Lauren Mack Beginning on September 23, 2013,...